BALSORA, WISE CO., TEXASExtract by Debbie Morgan
This information on the town of Balsora, Texas comes from the Handbook of Texas found online.
Balsora is on Farm Road 920 nine miles south of Bridgeport in southwestern Wise County. The area was originally called Wild Horse Prairie because it was frequented by mustangs. Balsora was established in the late 1880s or early 1890s. Postal service to the community began in 1894, was halted two years later, and began again in 1900. By that time Balsora had a general store, a church, and a school. The population, however, never exceeded fifty, and in 1924 postal service to the community ended. After the 1930s the population hovered between forty and fifty. In 1990 it was fifty.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: John Clements, Flying the Colors: Texas, a Comprehensive Look at Texas Today, County by County (Dallas: Clements Research, 1984). Rosalie Gregg, ed., Wise County History (Vol. 1, n.p: Nortex, 1975; Vol. 2, Austin: Eakin, 1982).
"BALSORA, TX." The Handbook of Texas Online. <http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/BB/hnb5.html> [Accessed Tue Aug 22 20:40:16 US/Central 2000 ].
The Handbook of Texas Online is a joint project of The General Libraries at the University of Texas at Austin (http://www.lib.utexas.edu) and the Texas State Historical Association (http://www.tsha.utexas.edu).