KEETER, WISE CO., TEXASInformation on Keeter was extracted by Debbie Morgan.
This information on the town of Keeter, Texas comes from the Handbook of Texas found online.
Keeter is on Farm Road 2048 three miles west of Eagle Mountain Lake in south central Wise County. Settlement of the community began in the early 1880s. It was named for L. L. Keeter, a Baptist minister who owned a quarter section of land just north of the town.
A post office branch was established in Keeter in 1883. Within a decade the community had four cotton gins, a general store, and an elementary school. As cotton production decreased in the early 1900s, so did the population. Postal service was discontinued in 1904. Keeter was still listed as a community in 1990.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Rosalie Gregg, ed., Wise County History (Vol. 1, n.p: Nortex, 1975; Vol. 2, Austin: Eakin, 1982).
"KEETER, TX." The Handbook of Texas Online. <http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/KK/hvk5.html> [Accessed Wed Aug 23 9:14:01 US/Central 2000 ].
The Handbook of Texas Online is a joint project of The General Libraries at the University of Texas at Austin (http://www.lib.utexas.edu) and the Texas State Historical Association (http://www.tsha.utexas.edu).