County, North Texas
History of Bridgeport Schools
Email - Sue@WiseCountyTexas.info
Click the buttons below for a few Bridgeport class pictures, pictures from class reunions, and yearbooks.
This Page is Still Under Construction
For a complete history of the Bridgeport School System click here to go to the Bridgeport Historical Site
A few pictures of the schools follow on this page.
Click on any picture to see it FULL SIZE.
1800's - The first school in Bridgeport was part of
the 2 story Masonic Hall in Old Town (west of present Bridgeport)
This part of a map shows the school building and Masonic Hall just to the north of the Old Town Square. Note that some of the data for this map came from Pollard Jeter. He was born in 1880 and is buried in nearby West Bridgeport Cemetery. Walter Johnson attended this school as a child in the late 1800's, and he called it the Poly-Jeter Grammar School. See whole article on page - https://wisecountytexas.info/bridgeportindex/images/1973/1973-07-19-pg61.jpg .
1893 - The town
of Bridgeport moved to the east when the railroad came through. A Mexican school
remained on the west side, but a new school was built in the new town.
2 pictures of the old school that was in the new town. Part of this school was the Methodist Church. The teachers were paid by "subscriptions". See story on page https://wisecountytexas.info/bridgeportindex/images/1973/1973-07-19-pg63.jpg
1902 - The Bridgeport school house (pictures below)
was on Carpenter Street.
The picture on the left was
rescued from a flea market, and a copy shared with our web page by Linda Davis.
The original picture belonged to Mrs. S.L. Atkins of Paradise TX. The picture in the middle was printed in The Bridgeport Index, as was the article on the right. It is memories about the old school by Reba Funk Erikson. Click to make any picture LARGE.
1910 - This Bridgeport school house (picture below)
was on Cates Street were a new elementary school was later built.
The picture on the left is from the 1929 yearbook (when the high school was held here). The picture in the center was sent in by Ken Sprecher firstname.lastname@example.org . The picture came from a descendent of Sam Woody who found it in her father's things. The only thing written on the back was 'Bridgeport TX Sept 7, 1911'. We think this center picture shows the end of the building that was on Cates Street. The article on the right is memories of this school by Reba Funk Erikson. Click on these to make them larger.
1920 - 2 school
rooms were built on the west side of the railroad tracts. This was called the
Pollard Jeter School.
A picture of the Pollard Jeter students from 1924.
1924 - A new
high school was built on Carpenter Street at the site of the old 2 story school
These pictures of the high school front, gym and homemaking house came from yearbooks. The gym was built in 1937 by WPA workers. See picture on page https://wisecountytexas.info/bridgeportindex/images/1963/1963-11-15-pg14.jpg
Bridgeport High School Class
This picture was given to me by Joy (Green) Palmer. It was in the newspaper in 2002.
Barnett, Foy Bain
Boase, Reba Parish
Brown, Pauline Chilton
Cope, Oleta Gibbons
Hartsell, Mary Jane Montford
Kersey, Eulalah Ruth Green
Pate, Roberta Johnson
Smith, Ozell Culwell (Teacher)
1951 - A new
elementary school on Cates Street replaced the old 3 story school.
The picture on the left was taken from the 1952 school yearbook. The picture on the right is from The Bridgeport Index of a new addition added in 1966.
1958 - A new
high school was built on 7th Street.
Picture on right is a new wing added in 1966.
1969 - A new junior high school was built on highway 380.
1990 - A new
high school was built on Cuba Road
2005 - A new elementary school way built on 7th Street